In 2011, a group of guys started an inclusive rugby team to eliminate homophobia in contact sports. They called this team the Columbus Coyotes Rugby Football Club.
Six years later on May 6th 2017, the Coyotes celebrated a milestone in moving closer to that goal. We defeated Youngstown Steel Valley, marking the first time in Coyotes history of beating a non-IGR team.
With this historic win, we showed that men of any sexual orientation can be strong, tough, and capable enough to play any sport.
It took us six years to reach this level. We would like to take this opportunity to encourage all IGR teams to continue learning, improving, and striving towards equality in sports.
We would also like to thank everyone who helped get us to this point. This includes all current and past Coyotes, particularly the founding members, IGR, USA Rugby, current and past board members, coaches, sponsors, and supporters. With your help and support, we will continue to eliminate homophobia in contact sports and make the pitch a safe place for us all.
Columbus Coyotes RFC
Interested in playing for the Columbus Coyotes?
Here’s a bit of information to get you into the pack:
- No experience necessary
- Fall & Spring league matches
- Practices are three days a week
- Great fitness training
- Many social activities with the team
New to rugby? Join us at Rugby 101.
Rugby 101, held at the beginning of every season, is a few hours of outdoor instruction for all things rugby followed by a few hours of food and fun. Come on out and bring a friend!
Missed Rugby 101? Join us at any practice! We can help from there.
Practices and matches are held at Scioto Audubon Metro Park (Downtown Columbus – Brewery District).
Our standard practice times are:
- Tuesday 6pm to 8pm (5:30pm – 7:30pm during the Winter/Early Spring)
- Thursday 6pm to 8pm (5:30pm – 7:30pm during the Winter/Early Spring)
- Saturday 11am to 1pm (when we don’t have a match scheduled)
Spring season runs February to May. Fall season runs August to November.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Registration through USA Rugby ($60 once per year). Be sure to register under our club name, Columbus Coyotes RFC, to receive insurance through USA Rugby in the event of injury during a rugby match.
- Club Membership Dues (once per season). Helps pay for field maintenance, referee fees, and equipment.
- ($50) – First season with the Coyotes (come to practice and see how you can get $0 season dues for your first season)
- ($75) – Returning Coyotes